Friday, March 23, 2007

Guess What Sprung!

I love this time of year. It'll be another month before the roses are in full bloom, but a few early birds are already poking their noses out, and everything's so green and full of life!

I'll never forget last August, when I thought I had advanced lung cancer and at most three months to live. One day a bulb catalog arrived in the mail, and I burst into tears, believing I would never live to see another spring with its tulips and hyacinths and daffodils. But: it's spring again, and here I am.

This is my last spring in this house though, and I'm spending as much time in the yard as I possibly can, enjoying every warm lovely sweet smelling second of it.


Wild Wisteria blooming in the trees.


Wild Wisteria up close.


Azaleas gone nutzo.


Peach Pelargonium in a blue pot.


Sweet demure tea rose 'Duchesse de Brabant'


Drama queen Cajun Hibiscus steals the show from the sweet demure tea roses.


Delicate Rhaphiolepis indica, obviously in the same family as wild roses, blackberries, and apple trees.


Noisette climbing rose 'Desprez a Fleur Jeaune'


A huge white 'Lady Banks' rose climbs into an old tree and arches gracefully over the driveway. My biggest fear is that some bozo with a tall honkin' SUV will buy the house and whack Lady Banks all the way down so she won't touch his precious gas guzzler.


Tea rose 'Duchesse du Brabant' again.


The beds are filling in with Bluebonnets, red Pentas, and pink Diascia.


Bluebonnets with dwarf Coreopsis.


Phallic things are emerging in the front beds.


Purple house with white 'Lady Banks' in the foreground.

Can you tell how much I've loved this yard?

12 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Everything looks beautiful, and it's good to know you are there to enjoy the spring show.

I took my yellow 'Lady Banks' out of its container to grow on an arch last year. It's great, but the white looks very special.

About the hair - could an additional reason yours looks good [in addition to the vital glow]be that your new hair has no cut ends? I think that's why toddlers have such beautiful hair - the ends emerge tapered, not blunt from being cut.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

5:38 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Oh, how lovely! Thank you for sharing these pictures.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Just another geek said...

Beautiful!

If you ever come to Ohio to visit that son of yours and want to spend some time gardening, I'll PAY you to help me make my yard even half as gorgeous as that!

6:59 PM  
Blogger jacqueline said...

hello there! i have discovered your blog via twisty. i must say that you are a powerful force and i'm inspired by your raw testimony (as are several of my friends who stop by here, too). i have listed your blog on my website- www.rebel1in8.com - because i know that your strength and truths will lift a great weight from some heavy shoulders out there.
this house, this garden is paradise multiplied... i'm sure your new digs will be touched by your magic in much the same way. happy trails to you!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Trasi said...

Oh, I know how you feel about the plants and flowers! I am always so excited the first time I see a camellia flower on my bushes, and then take a walk in my neighborhood and catch a whiff of the mountain laurel blooms (which smell like grape bubblegum to me!), and then come the wisteria to shove my pug nose into, and then bluebonnets pop out all over the frigging place, highways and all. My lavender is going nuts and I'm about to plant a loose, wild bed of them out in my front yard. I LOVE this part of spring, right before it gets unbearably HOT.

Enjoy it. I'm sure you'll find a blank canvas to create in next, but yes, your yard is LOVELY.

10:32 PM  
Blogger jana said...

Oh, these pics are just gorgeous. Like you, I spend a lot of time just marveling in the joy of Spring and being giddy because I've lived to see yet another one! :)

11:22 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Wow what gorgeous pictures! There's nothing like watching flowers bloom after a long winter.

Kind of a nice analogy to your life right now, I would think...

1:31 PM  
Blogger johnieb said...

I'm gonna really miss these pictures next year, but we've got you, and that's all that matters.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Hathor said...

I love it too. I would like to be a conscientious gardener, but...

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glorious. I can't wait for it to happen here.

The love you fed it will stay in that garden for years, which is one of the points of loving a garden. We all leave; we all hope we leave behind something better than what we found.

Going where you're going, spring and summer will follow you.

Being who you are, the love will also go with you. You will put it into everything. I think you always have.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Alto2 said...

Tell ya what, since you need a place to go, and I have a guest room/suite in my house, you can move in here and create a tropical masterpiece in my yard. My husband is a physician, so you'd have medical consults available 24/7!

Your flowers are gorgeous, esp. that Cajun Hibuscus.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I love what I've seen of your house and your garden so much I almost wish I could buy your house and live in Deep Inferno. That's an artist's garden if I ever saw one.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home