Monday, June 25, 2007

Shorn!

Big News: Today I went to the barber and had my hair cut. This was my first real post-chemo haircut, other than that very light trim over the ears I did myself a month or so ago.

Don't get me wrong, I love my hair dearly, and I'm just so glad to have it back, I will never complain about it. But honestly, I was so #@*%! frustrated with it because it was growing in too thick and fluffy, too puffy and wooly, exactly like the texture of an elderly sheep. I would have been ecstatic if it looked like Malcolm Gladwell, but it was looking a whole lot more like Phil Specter. Or like one of those prim pouffy old lady perms. I tried fooling around with various spiking gels and waxes and curl products, but nothing had any damn effect on it whatsoever. It was never going to look even remotely hip.

So I finally gave up and went to Cynthia the barber. Here's what she did:


Before: pouffy like sheep.


After: more like a very sleek llama.


Llama-head close-up. I kind of like it.

In other Very Exciting News: I FINALLY got an appointment to have my hideous port removed! I report to the surgery clinic on the morning of July 3rd. Then I'll rush out and celebrate my brand new independence with fireworks. Unless my head explodes with happiness first.

You know, I was talking to a friend on the phone this morning. We chatted a good while, and then right before we hung up he said, "Oh by the way, how's your health?" And I sat there for an instant drawing a blank. Health? Huh? And then: Oh. Right. That. Shit, I had forgotten all about it! I guess that's a pretty good sign, don't you think?

13 Comments:

Blogger Hathor said...

Looking Gooood!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

I gotta tell ya, Biz, the pre-barber look reminded me a lot of General's......!

The new 'do' is much more YOU! Love it!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An excellent sign. Mazeltov.w

6:25 PM  
Blogger IFIWEREKINGOFTHEFOREST said...

Looking real good.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

totally fab.

10:38 AM  
Blogger shygirl said...

I just finished reading your blog, and I'm so friggin pleased for you! Your little shack is one I'd be very pleased to live in.

I'm also laughing my head off. I'm from Massachusetts, and while we certainly have our share of roaches, when I first looked at the before picture of your new bathroom, I kept thinking why on earth are there rose petals on the floor! I had no idea they were dead roaches. Eeeewie, I just gave myself goosebumps.

I will continue to read as long as you continue to post, you are an inspriration to me and other.

Bless you.

4:47 PM  
Blogger i am the diva said...

Your hair is supa-fine and foxy!! Congrats on your most excellent sign.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Trasi said...

New do looks quite foxy. I have always heard that post-chemo hair gets much curlier and sometimes changes color. Were you this color before, and you just dyed it reddish? Or were you red and it came in blonde?
And that's awesome you're getting the doorbell removed. You do have to kinda take it easy after that sort of thing, don't go wacky, alright?!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hahaha! I almost wish you had grown it out more poofy, just so that I could see a picture of you looking like Phil Specter. That man is certainly strange looking, isn't he? The new 'do looks very sleek and stylish. Do all llamas have cool Frida Kahlo t-shirts?

But, FANTASTIC news about your port! Congratulations!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I always thought my post-chemo hair looked like a cocker spaniel's back. It was impossible to do anything with, and, you're right, somehow everything I tried came out looking little old lady on a bad hair day. (I should have colored it aqua, or peach.) Having it cut really short was the only thing to do.

Jeanne

12:45 AM  
Blogger Beth Currie said...

Love the new hair. And great news about the port coming out. Yay!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Moira said...

Hello Liz,

I am a follower of your blog. Keep writing , I appreciate your honesty and your humour. Also, keep posting pics of the puppies , the new guy is adorable !

Just wanted to point you in the direction of a blog that I write about my mum . http://lexjencol.blogspot.com/
Today, I wrote about your blog and also posted one of my favourite posts . Hope you check it out . Love to hear from you !

Moira

10:27 PM  
Blogger KinnicChick said...

I LOVE it! Looks awesome. :) Of course, I'm pretty partial to short locks myself.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home