Sunday, September 09, 2007

How I Stay Sane

Drawing and knitting have been bringing me a lot of peace and joy these days. I'm not interested in creating masterpieces, it's more about the process than the product for me. I love the way I can drift off into a soothing, centered, serene zone while I work. My brain empties itself of worries and fears, and soon involuntary fragments of familiar well-loved poetry float in to fill the emptiness.

I watch with a kind of detached fascination as a face magically appears on my blank drawing pad, or a long festive scarf emerges from my softly clacking needles. It doesn't even seem to be me who's producing these things, they seem to somehow be making themselves, not of my volition.

And yet I can see myself right there in the creations. I see such complex emotions in the faces, and I recognize the very things I've never been able to express with words. I see my own crazy foolhardy defiance in the scarves: Yes, they say, I know the brutally cold winter is on the way, and icy bitter winds will soon be battering my tiny uninsulated, unheated shack. But look! Here I am, facing it bravely armed with long festive colorful scarves! and lots of festive fringe! And perhaps a festive dose of denial.

But we do whatever it takes.



twice beautiful
is beauty
and what is good is doubly
good
when it is a case of two
woolen socks
in wintertime.






The windmills whirl the winter in
She winds his muffler tighter,
They sit in the kitchen.
Some tea with whiskey keeps away the doom...





How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true;
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face.






17 Comments:

Blogger divrchk said...

I wish you a warm winter and you are so incredibly talented.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Your sketch is beautiful. There's a lot in her eyes.

8:28 PM  
Blogger A.Smith said...

Virginia never looked so peaceful...
Liz, I need to send you something.
Would you please send me a PO box or some such to my address? Thank you

Allegra

9:46 PM  
Blogger Alto2 said...

I want the Frida drawing. It's wonderful.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Sock Girl said...

Amazing drawings!
(Cozy looking scarf too :-) )

8:39 AM  
Blogger Judy Wise said...

I agree that your drawings are first rate. I see a painter-woman emerging. You could do it. You could sell them on etsy. Hmmmmmmm.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

Wow, those portraits are top notch!
Can we see some more please?!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am in my early 30s, your life and this entry inspired so much, I sometimes leave it on throughout the day just to remind myself I want to be as strong as you too. Lots of hugs for you Liz.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

What Corey said.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Trasi said...

You're a damn fine artist, Liz.
Turn those portraits into acrylics or oils or something, and you could totally create a funky line of stuff to sell on etsy. That was a great recommendation!

8:27 PM  
Blogger -L said...

Liz! I just wanted to let you know that Adam and I just gave you a small donation through Paypal to help fund your Mexico adventure! I wish it could be more, but, unfortunately, my newest contract project was canceled unexpectedly last week due to some logistical problems in management, and I am unemployed. Anyway, thank you, thank you for sharing as much of yourself as you have with your web readership for these past couple years. I have loved reading you since the old site, and I am so excited you will be in Mexico for the Dias de los muertos. I'm fluent in Spanish (worked as a bilingual teacher in inner-city Phoenix for several years), and that's one of my dreams as well.

Also, if you want a place to stay in Phoenix if your shack gets too cold this winter, Adam and I have a pull-out sofa, an organic garden just getting started, a CSA membership, and a YMCA just down the street. :) Plus, you might want to check out the salsa dancing scene here in the Valley to see how it compares to your beloved zydeco!

I'm just saying.
-Loorol

8:57 PM  
Blogger Lymphopo said...

Thank you, Lorool and Adam, very much. I hope the unemployment doesn't last too long.

As for me, I'm afraid I'm not much inclined to take up painting. I just love to sit at the kitchen table and draw for the sheer soothing pleasure of it.

11:23 PM  
Blogger SueLynn said...

Even if I couldn't read a word of English, I would still visit your blog everyday just to see superman! I love the way he's always sprawled out on his back on your couch! And modeling your scarves, what a good boy. Your writing is the cherry on top.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Ya Looblue said...

superman looks awesome in that scarf.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Jezebella said...

that dog is hilarious

8:19 PM  
Blogger lu said...

i agree - the knitting is all about the process.

just found your blog, will be back to read some more.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Redheaded Goddess said...

I have more blankets than can possibly be utilized during a "winter" season since I live in Houston. They are yours. Your street address to crimson.curls@gmail.com and they are on the way to you. And you can tell that little voice that I said "YOU most certainly can Madame!" Peace and healing. Yours in tumorage. Sam

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home