Monday, October 15, 2007

Out Of the Tree of Life I Picked Me a Plum

I apologize for not posting the Friday muscle updates lately, and I especially apologize to any of you who may have been holding your breath in anticipation for the past three weeks and are currently holed up in the ICU as a result. Oops, sorry about that. But the thing is, I just haven't been changing much musclewise, mostly because I've been slowed down by bad back pain from the scoliosis.

I'm having to concentrate on totally unglamorous boring back rehab stuff these days, stupid sissy things like planks, side planks, planks, planks, and more side planks. (Planks are actually not sissy at all: a two minute plank totally kicks my butt into the gutter and leaves me weeping and begging for mercy.) The only hypertrophy lifts I'm doing are flat bench press, inverted bodyweight rows, bodyweight dips, and assisted pullups, varying the grips and number of arms used. What these all have in common is: they don't put any load on the spine or compress the discs. But I'm going to the gym four or five days a week, and loving every minute of it. Especially since my old bodybuilder buddy Darwin is now the manager.

I'm also running 3 miles a day, trying to get my pathetic unacclimated sea-levelized lungs in shape for the high altitudes I'll experience during my trek to Mexico. I'll be exploring volcanos and villages upwards of 8,000 feet which is, like, oh shit when you consider that the highest point in Louisiana is probably the fire ant mound in my back yard.

But even though there's not much visible change in my muscles day to day or even week to week now, I am continuing to whup my ass back into shape slowly but surely. And what I think you can see now is a steady visible increase in robust good health and glowing joie de vivre. I look in the mirror now and I just see Life gushing out of every pore. Behold:


Exhibit A: This picture was taken exactly one year ago, about a week after my first chemotherapy treatment. I was sick as hell.


Exhibit B: Another photo from that same week. My hair had just started to fall out, and I was down to a scary 92 pounds.


And Exhibit C: This is me five minutes ago, a healthy robust 112 pounds, just home from the gym, still high on endorphins after an exhilarating workout and run.

Isn't that amazing? It's good to remind myself (and other cancer patients who may stumble on this blog) of this miraculous transformation from time to time. And you know what I think? I think it's going to keep getting better. I'm really starting to believe that in spite of everything, maybe the best is yet to come.

15 Comments:

Blogger TheAnachronismX said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:34 PM  
Blogger TheAnachronismX said...

Hello! I stumbled upon your blog this weekend and let me tell you- I sat on my computer for hours reading every post you've ever made. You truly are an inspiration. You look amazing! It really is true that you have life just gushing out of every pore, you look healthy and beautiful. You are an amazing writer, and let me tell you- when I was reading all your posts there were times I laughed, and most definitely times that I cried. I hope you have a wonderful night, and that every single one of your dreams come true. You deserve it!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Has anyone mentioned lately that you're the bomb? (Or da bomb, I guess.) Because you are.

9:03 PM  
Blogger momo said...

Your glow arrives all the way up north here to Minnesota! I can hear the joie de vivre in your voice as well as see it in the pictures. And seeing you with Superman and the folks in your town is also so great--so many smiles!

12:21 AM  
Blogger doctorval said...

Girl, the best IS yet to come. You look mahvelous!

pinkbunnyears.com

12:24 AM  
Blogger Vanda said...

Oh Liz, I'm so happy for you. You are looking hot women!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

You look wonderful.

And I love the platinum blonde!

7:58 AM  
Blogger painting with fire said...

So glad to see you looking so good!

(and that I can post comments again after mysteriously being unable to do so for ages)

8:23 AM  
Blogger Tuesday said...

That's a fab post you know. I started reading over at the Granny-blog so I've found your whole journey down and then WAY back up again very inspiring as it is a story that is told very infrequently. What happens? You can be better than before.

Thanks for sharing.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Patrizia said...

You are gawjuss!

12:56 PM  
Blogger anne said...

Completely, completely awesome. You make my day better, just by being.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on, chica!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Sock Girl said...

You look amazing!!!!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Rent Party said...

My God! I need to start seriously working out, I cannot compete at all, at all...

11:29 PM  
Blogger Whitney G said...

You look absolutely beautiful!

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home