Monday, November 05, 2007

Vacation Diary, Day 1

Friday, October 26, 2007

Flight into Morelia uneventful. Except my ink pen exploded all over my Customs & Immigration paperwork, right where it warns with such firm and official authority, "DO NOT MARK HERE." Brief panic!! as I envisioned my life of hard labor in a Mexican prison camp alongside scary felons who tore off their mattress tags. But the worldly flight attendant just sighed and handed me several more blank sheets, until on the fifth try I finally got it right. Whew. I am now a member of the Jet Set.

Arrived in town around 8pm and by sheer luck of the draw I ended up in the coveted Alfredo Zalce suite at the hotel. Each room is assigned an artist: the Van Gogh room, the Gauguin room, the MirĂ³ room, etc. Alfredo Zalce is the famous-son painter from Michoacan with whom I have recently fallen deeply in love, so imagine my delight upon discovering that a reproduction of his work is decoupaged onto the headboard of my hotel room! Also on the walls and other furniture as well.

Zalce Suite in Hotel, Morelia
Headboard in hotel room

Since Morelia is in the same time zone as Deep Inferno (small world, eh?), I didn't have any jet lag so I tossed my luggage in the room and wandered outside to explore the city. Morelia was teeming with night life. It seems very cosmopolitan, and obviously a university town: people of all ages wear black and sit in open air cafes, shouting passionately about art, music, and above all politics. I quaffed a margarita at a sidewalk cafe and enjoyed myself immensely.

(Note to self: please try to remember, especially after several margaritas, that the 'C' in the shower stands for caliente, not cold.)

Alfredo Zalce
A few days later I ogled this Zalce engraving in the Alfredo Zalce Museum of Contemporary Art in Morelia.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, flying with fountain pens could be a sport. When I was doing my grad school interviews, zooming all around the country, I emptied the pen before every flight and filled it once I got there-- the times I had roommates, they thought it was a bit weird, but a pen that actually writes nicely? So very worth it.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA HA HA -- I have totally done that C in the shower thing in France. Not my favorite.

Great room! So, do you think the answer to your winter heating woes might be simply relocating to Mexico? It's cheaper, and as you said, it's in the same time zone...

9:26 AM  
Blogger Joan said...

Hola amiga! So good to read your blog. Our time in Mexico already seems like a dream, a wonderful and colorful dream. I was sorry not to say a proper good-bye when our Morelia flight landed in Houston yesterday. Somehow I lost you. Thank you for the humor and warmth you added to the experience for all of us. And thank you for the photos. Your readers should know: it is VERY difficult to get the exposure right when shooting a candle-bedecked grave at night! Congratulations and love.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Sounds wonderful. Well, except for the "C" part.

6:23 PM  
Blogger nina said...

Oh, you are making me very homesick for Morelia where I lived for two years but haven't been back to visit. I can't believe it's been over ten years (and my son's grandparents are there!). I'm so glad you got to go there and I am grateful to see the pictures and hear your stories.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home